Over the last few months there have been a number of call outs caused by open fires in the home.
Lighting a fire in a house made of wood sounds just a little dangerous but it’s something most homeowners do every night during the dark, colds winter months. It’s simply inevitable that there are going to be incidents.
I’m reminded of a fire a couple of years ago where the homeowner discarded the previous night’s ashes over the fence adjoining his section.
The embers were still smouldering and the fire quickly took hold. The damage was serious and the final bill handed to the homeowner was over a million bucks.
I’m not a great fan of sermons, but with the number of call outs we get for this type of incident maybe I can urge you to take just a few second to think about the consequences a momentary brain fade can bring.
Embers can smoulder for days so make sure they’re left in a metal container in the short term. When you dispose of them make sure it’s in a suitable environment, that’s to say well away from combustible materials like dry grass and leaves etc
There have also been a number of chimney fires in our area this winter. If a chimney isn’t swept regularly the soot builds and will eventually take flame. Chimney fires can soon get out of hand and break through into the stud work spreading unseen throughout the house. Our advice is always call 111 and get out.
Having said that, there will always be people who take the opportunity in the early stages to put the fire out.
Obviously, I don’t endorse anyone other that firefighters tackle a blaze but surprisingly, chimney fires in their infancy can be extinguished with very little water. Just a mug full thrown on the base of the fire produces huge amounts of steam. This travels up the flue and can often be all that’s needed.